Purpose of the Program
With the generous help of volunteers, NOACA conducts annual bicycle and pedestrian counts throughout Northeast Ohio in May and September. These counts are conducted in order to:
- Gauge regional and local levels of bicycling and walking beyond what is already available from Census data.
- Identify trends based on count data to aid the planning and design of multimodal transportation infrastructure, as well as the implementation and execution of encouragement, educational, and enforcement programs.
- Aid in the prioritization of bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure and planning projects.
NOACA is in need of volunteers to conduct bike and pedestrian counts throughout Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, and Medina Counties. To sign up as a volunteer for our upcoming May 2019 count, please read the instructions below and then sign up for an available location. Thank you for your interest and help with this effort.
Volunteers that count for one day will receive a brand new pair of custom-made NOACA socks, and those that count two days will receive socks plus a $20 gift card to the Northeast Ohio bicycle/athletic shop of their choice! Volunteers will be asked to count passing bicyclists and pedestrians for two hour periods, while sitting outside or in a parked car, at various road and trail intersections on:
- Tuesday, May 14th from 5:00 - 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 15th from 5:00 - 7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 16th from 5:00 - 7:00 pm
All materials necessary to conduct the counts will be emailed to you. Volunteers are responsible for their own transportation to the count location, and should be able to arrive on time and count for the entire two hour period.
To sign up and pick a location, check out the sign-up webpage. After you have chosen a location (check out a location map here), you will be asked to digitally sign the liability waiver and pick your preferred gift card retailer. Prior to the count days, you will receive additional information including a location map, tally form, and additional instructions by email.
Thank you all our bike count volunteers for helping us gather important data about bike ridership in northeast Ohio. They do a great job and provide a real service to the region.
NOACA participates in the National Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation Project.