Title: Traffic Signal Improvements along Monticello Boulevard in Cleveland Heights
Sponsor: Cleveland Heights
Estimated Total Cost: $850,700
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: Ohio Statewide Urban Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Program
History/Background: The Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) program provides funding for transportation projects and programs that reduce congestion and improve air quality for areas that do not meet National Ambient Air Quality Standards for ozone, carbon monoxide, or particular matter. The selection of projects is in accordance with the policy established by the Ohio Statewide Urban Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Committee (OSUCC), created in November 2012.
The following project was recommended for CMAQ funding by the NOACA Board of Directors in September 2017 (Resolution 2017-038) and the Statewide CMAQ Program Committee in October 2017:
- MONTICELLO BLVD SIGNALS: PID No. 112809 - This project involves upgrade traffic signals at 6 signalized intersections along Monticello Boulevard, from Lee Road to Belvoir Boulevard, in the City of Cleveland Heights (location map). The work includes fiber interconnect and vehicle/pedestrian detection. The estimated total cost of the project is $850,700. The estimated cost of construction (CO) is $773,300. The estimated cost of construction engineering (CE) is $77,400. The CO and CE will be funded with CMAQ funds ($320,000) and local funds ($530,700).
Staff Comment (Summary):
- Consider incorporating recommendations from Taylor Rd TLCI study at the intersection of Taylor Rd and Monticello Rd.
- Recommend considering low-cost safety improvements to existing crosswalks by improving visibility (high-visibility ladder-style markings increasing the width of the crosswalk, increasing the thickness of the pavement markings), prioritizing pedestrians at signalized intersections (installing countdown signals, leading pedestrian intervals, and other signal techniques), and shortening crossing distances and calming traffic (installing median refuge islands, curb extensions, etc).
- No comments; recommended for Planning and Programming Committee review
Planning and Programming Committee:
- No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):