Title: Improvement at the Intersection of Shepard Road/Richmond Road and Broadway Avenue/Ravenna Road, in Macedonia, Twinsburg, Oakwood Village and Glenwillow
Estimated Total Cost: $3,513,020
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: Ohio Statewide Urban Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Program
History/Background: The Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) program provides funding for transportation projects and programs that reduce congestion and improve air quality for areas that do not meet National Ambient Air Quality Standards for ozone, carbon monoxide, or particular matter. The selection of projects is in accordance with the policy established by the Ohio Statewide Urban Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Committee (OSUCC), created in November 2012.
The following project was recommended for CMAQ funding by the NOACA Board of Directors in September 2019 (Resolution 2019-046) and the Statewide CMAQ Program Committee in November 2019:
- SUM RAVENNA/SHEPARD/BROADWAY: PID No. 113165 - This project involves improvements at the intersection at Shepard Road/Richmond Road and Broadway Avenue/Ravenna Road, in Macedonia, Twinsburg, in Summit County and Oakwood Village and the Village of Glenwillow, in Cuyahoga County (location map). The work will include adding right turn lanes on Ravenna Road and a left turn lane on Shepard Road. The work will also include curb, sidewalk, signal and drainage improvements. The estimated total cost of the project is $3,513,020. The estimated cost of preliminary engineering preliminary development (PEPD) is $76,300. The estimated cost of preliminary engineering detailed design (PEDD) is $13,500. The PEPD and PEDD will be funded with state funds. The estimated cost of right-of-way (RW) is $100,000. The (RW) will be funded with CMAQ funds ($80,000) and local funds ($20,000). The estimated cost of construction (CO) is $2,990,898. The estimated cost of construction engineering (CE) is $332,322. The CO and CE will be funded with CMAQ funds ($2,658,576) and local funds ($664,644).
Staff Comment (Summary):
- Recommend (especially at existing APT crossings) considering low-cost safety improvements to existing crosswalks by improving visibility (high-visibility ladder-style markings increasing the width of the crosswalk, increasing the thickness of the pavement markings), prioritizing pedestrians at signalized intersections (installing countdown signals, leading pedestrian intervals, and other signal techniques), and shortening crossing distances and calming traffic (installing median refuge islands, curb extensions, etc).
- This project is located within the Town of Twinsburg-Tinkers Creek subwatershed (HUC 04110002 05 04). According to Ohio EPA's 2020 Integrated Report, causes of water quality impairment include natural limitations, alterations to habitat, modifications to flow regime, organic enrichment, nutrients and oil and grease. Specific sources have not been identified. The project sponsor is encourage to work with the Tinker's Creek Watershed Partners to address stormwater runoff during and post-construction.
- No comments; recommended for Planning and Programming Committee review
Planning and Programming Committee:
- No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):