In October 2010, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) awarded northeast Ohio a $4.25 million sustainable communities grant as part of an initiative supporting regional approaches to land use, housing, transportation, environmental issues, and economic development.
The grant is being used to develop a cooperative regional sustainability plan for a 12-county planning area that includes Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Mahoning, Medina, Portage, Summit, Stark, Trumbull and Wayne counties.
Northeast Ohio Sustainable Communities Consortium (NEOSCC)
Led by The Fund for Our Economic Future and several of its member foundations, public and private organizations collaborated to develop and submit the grant application.
In January 2011, these entities were formally organized as the Northeast Ohio Sustainable Communities Consortium (NEOSCC) and the membership continues to grow. NOACA is pleased to be a partner in this effort. The Consortium leadership includes:
- Hunter Morrison, Program Director
- Grace Gallucci, Chair, NOACA Executive Director
- Robert Nau, First Vice Chair, Stark County Regional Planning Commission Director
- Jason Segedy, Second Vice Chair, Akron Metropolitan Area Transportation Study Executive Director
- Rachel McCartney, Third Vice Chair, Eastgate Regional Council of Governments Program Manager of Community Development
- Stephen D. Hambley, Treasurer, Medina County Commissioner
- Fred Wright, Secretary, Akron Urban League President/CEO
- NOACA serves as treasurer for the consortium