On March 10, 2017, the NOACA Board of Directors will consider adding the projects described on this page to Connections+ 2035 - the long-range transportation plan and the State Fiscal Years 2016-2019 Transportation Improvement Program. The projects will also be reviewed and considered by the following NOACA subcommittee/committees:
Sponsor: Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT)
CUY 90 21.02
Estimated Total Cost:
Proposed Source of Federal Funds:
A safety study (CUY 90-19.50/21.30 SAFETY STUDY INTERSTATE ROUTE 90 (I-90) ODOT DISTRICT 12) was prepared for ODOT in March 2016. The purpose of the safety study was to evaluate existing safety performance and to identify potential countermeasures to reduce traffic crashes on IR-90 at the interchanges with East 55th Street, East 72nd Street and Martin Luther King (MLK) Drive, in Cleveland. The safety study identified short, medium and long term countermeasures to reduce crashes within the study area.
ODOT’s application was approved for funding to support an interchange operations study, preliminary engineering preliminary development - environmental (PEPD-Env.), preliminary engineering detail design (PEDD) and construction (C) phases of the improvement.
Proposed Project: The proposed project involves countermeasures to improve traffic flow and reduce crashes at the I-90 interchange at MLK Drive in Cleveland (illustration) by:
• extending two southbound lanes on MLK Drive to East Boulevard;
• signalizing the eastbound and westbound ramp terminal intersections;
• modifying the eastbound exit to allow double right turns;
• widening the westbound exit to allow double left turns;
• forming dedicated left turn lanes on MLK Drive at the eastbound entrance ramp and North Marginal Road intersection; and
• channelizing the northbound right turn to I-90 eastbound
• bridge work is not anticipated
The project’s estimated total cost is $2,499,000. The estimated cost of PEDD-Env. is $175,000. The estimated cost of PEDD is $75,000. The estimated cost of C is $2,249,000. The PEPD-Env., PEDD and C will be funded with Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds ($2,249,100) and ODOT funds ($249,900).
Staff Comment (Summary):
- The project is consistent with NOACA's Connections+ 2035 Goal #3 (Preserve and Improve the Efficiency of the Transportation System).
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):
- Recommend committee and public review in order to obtain comments.
Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Council (BPAC):
- The BPAC recommended that the TLCI (Transportation for Livable Communities Initiative) recommendations, which involve improvements to the underpass and additional enhancements to the trail under I-90, be implemented.
- No comments; recommended for Planning & Programming Committee review.
Planning and Programming Committee:
- No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review.
- No comments; recommended for Board of Directors' review.