Lake County Engineer
Estimated Total Cost:
Proposed Source of Federal Funds:
County Engineers Association of Ohio (CEAO)
In 2006, The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) required that CEAO spend half of its County Surface Transportation Program (CSTP) funds on safety projects, and it was subsequently determined that the CSTP and Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds would be administered by CEAO as separate programs. To be eligible for federal HSIP funding a project must correct or improve an identified hazardous road section, intersection, or bridge location or feature or address a highway safety problem.
The following projects have been approved by the CEAO for the use of Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds:
• LAK CR BLAIR RD PM
- This project involves installing 39 raised pavement markers along Blair Road, from Ford Road to River Road, in Perry Township (location map
). The sponsor reports that the markers will be installed along the centerline in a section which has vertical grade, horizontal curves and a narrow bridge. The sponsor also reports that the road in this rural area is dark at night due to tree cover and no lighting. According to the sponsor, the installation of the markers will increase safety by illuminating the roadway to prevent vehicles from crossing over the center line into the opposite lane, thus reducing head-on and side swipe crashes. The estimated annual construction cost is $4,000. The construction will be funded with 100% HSIP funds administered through the CEAO.
• LAK CR GUARDRAIL VAR
- This project involves upgrading existing guardrail on various county roads in Lake County in SFY 2018. Upgrading will consist of changing blunt and turned-down end treatments to new end treatments and replacing existing Type 4 guardrail with MGS type guardrail. In addition, existing guardrail will be extended to protect a fixed object in order to meet current design requirements in Section 602 of the ODOT Location and Design Manual, Volume 1. According to the sponsor, the upgraded guardrail will improve safety by raising the height and installing the most current safety tested materials. The sponsor reports that, because the project is not scheduled to be constructed until SFY 2018, the locations have not yet been finalized. The estimated annual construction cost is $98,000. The construction will be funded with 100% HSIP funds administered through the CEAO.
• LAK CR PAVEMENT MARKINGS VAR
- This project involves upgrading existing pavement markings on various county roads in Lake County in SFY 2018. Upgrading will consist of installing longer lasting material with a higher reflectivity rating. Additionally, edge lines on roads with pavement wide enough to accommodate it will be upgraded from four inch lines to six inch lines. The sponsor reports that the criteria for selecting the roads will be higher traffic volumes, areas which are dark at night and experiencing run-off the road crashes. The sponsor anticipates that approximately 99 miles of edge line and 80 miles of center line will be completed. The estimated annual construction cost is $148,000. The construction will be funded with 100% HSIP funds administered through the CEAO.
Staff Comment (Summary):
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):
These projects are consistent with NOACA’s Connections+ 2035 Goal #3 (Preserve and Improve the Efficiency of the Transportation System).
Recommend committee and public review in order to obtain comments.
- No comments; recommended for Planning and Programming Committee review.
Planning and Programming Committee:
- No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review.
- No comments; recommended for Board of Directors' review.