Improvements on SR-17, SR-94 and IR-480 in Cleveland and Parma
Sponsor: Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) District 12
Project Name: CUY 17/94/480 10.78/10.05/13.96
Estimated Total Cost: $2,814,920
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: ODOT
History/Background: A safety study CUY 480-14.10/14.40 SAFETY STUDY STATE ROAD (SR-94) TO SR-176 was prepared for ODOT in September 2015. The purpose of the safety study is to evaluate existing safety performance and identify potential countermeasures to reduce congestion and traffic crashes on IR-480 between SR-94 (State Road) and the SR-176 (Jennings Freeway) interchanges in Cleveland and Parma (location map). The safety study identified short, medium and long term countermeasures to mitigate crashes within the study area.
ODOT submitted an application for Safety and Congestion Program funding [Safety Application 201510D12-04, CUY-17/94/480-10.78/10.05/13.96, PID’s 102053 (Study and PE-Env) and 102054 (DD, RW, CO)] for a project to reduce crashes and improve traffic flow along SR-94 (State Road) between SR-17 (Brookpark Road) and the IR-480 interchange (illustration). ODOT’s application was approved for partial funding to support an interchange operations study, preliminary engineering preliminary development (PEPD/PE-Env), preliminary engineering detail design (PEDD), right-of-way (RW), and construction (C) phases of the improvement.
Proposed Project: The ODOT District Safety Review Team advised ODOT District 12 to program two projects to support project development. The ODOT District Safety Review Team recommended the first project be a planning study only (PEPD/PE-Env), to perform an Interchange Operations Study (Study), and to confirm identification of the preferred alternate for implementation with local partners, Cleveland and Parma. It was also recommended that the District pursue PEDD, RW and C under a separate project, to require separate Federal authorization for both planning and design/construction phases, in the event the No Build alternative is selected by stakeholders in the PE-Environmental phase.
• CUY 17/94/480 10.78/10.05/13.96 (Study and PE-Env): PID No. 102053 - Planning study to confirm recommended improvements to reduce crashes and improve traffic flow along State Road (SR 94) between Brookpark Road (SR-17) and the IR-480 interchange, including widening and lengthening of turn slots on the westbound (WB) exit ramp. The study will include the preparation of Interchange Operations Study to seek approval of recommendations. Study purpose is to identify preferred alternate for implementation on subsequent project (see PID No.102054). The cost of the planning study is $250,000. The project will be funded with Federal and State Safety funds.
• CUY 17/94/480 10.78/10.05/13.96 (PEDD, RW, CO): PID No. 102054 - It is recommended that the District pursue Preliminary engineering Detailed Design, Right of Way and Construction under a separate project, to require separate Federal authorization for both planning and design/construction phases, in the event the No Build alternative is selected by stakeholders in the PE-Environmental phase. Highway Safety Improvement Project to improve traffic flow and reduce crashes on State Road (SR-94) by adding a WB right-turn only lane to Brookpark Road (SR-17), lengthening turn-slot storage on the I-480 WB exit to State Road, and reconfiguring travel lanes on State Road between Brookpark Road and Ralph Avenue/Burger Avenue for better lane continuity. (For the study, see PID No. 102053). Bridge work is not anticipated.
The estimated total cost of the project is $2,564,920. The cost of PEDD is $100,000. The cost of RW is $133,000. The cost of C is $2,331,920. The project will be funded with Federal and State Safety funds.
Staff Comment (Summary):
• Recommend committee and public review in order to obtain comments.
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):
• No comments; recommended for Planning and Programming Committee review.
Planning and Programming Committee:
• No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review.
• No comments; recommended for Board of Directors' review.