Title: Bridge Projects
Sponsor: ODOT District 12
Estimated Total Cost: $6,730,000
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: ODOT District Preservation Program
History/Background: These projects are included in the ODOT District 12 Programs.
• CUY IR 071 17.91R/VAR Overlay: PID No. 98727 - This project involves bridge deck overlay of the I-71 northbound bridge, over SR-176 northbound, in the Metro Curve. The work includes overlaying the #2 and #3 lanes of the I-480 eastbound bridge over the Rocky River in Cleveland (location map). The estimated cost of construction (C) is $6,180,000. The construction cost will be funded with District Preservation (Pavement and Bridge) funds ($5,000,000). The remaining $1,180,000 will be funded by ODOT. The project will be ready to construct by June 2015.
• LAK SR 615 04.03 Repair: PID No. 94337 - This project involves wearing surface repair of the bridge on Center Street (SR-615), over the Norfolk-Southern railroad in Mentor (location map). The estimated cost of construction (C) is $550,000. The construction cost will be funded with District Preservation (Pavement and Bridge) funds ($400,000). The remaining $100,000 will be funded by ODOT. The project will be ready to construct by January 2016.
Sponsor: Lorain County Engineer
Estimated Total Cost: $1,419,000
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: County Engineers Association of Ohio (CEAO)
History/Background: Funding under the Local Bridge (LBR) program is limited to federally eligible bridges for which the county engineer has maintenance responsibility. In addition to meeting the federal eligibility criteria, to qualify for rehabilitation under the LBR program a bridge must have a General Appraisal rating of 7 or less.
• LOR WHITNEY RD: PID No. 98720 - The proposed project involves replacing a bridge (No. 291) on Whitney Road (TR-72), over the West Branch of the Black River in Pittsfield Township (location map). The existing structure has a general appraisal rating of 4 and is posted with a load limit of 75 percent Ohio Legal Load. The bridge sufficiency rating is 30.30. The project will include removing the existing structure and constructing a new bridge. The new span will include pre-cast concrete box beams on new concrete abutments. Approach and embankment work will be limited to that required for any changes in alignment. Railings, guardrail and signage will be upgraded to current standards. Construction will require closure of the roadway and traffic will be detoured accordingly.
The project’s estimated total cost is $1,419,000. The estimated cost of preliminary engineering preliminary development (PEPD) is $25,000. The estimated cost of preliminary engineering detail design (PEDD) is $230,000. The estimated cost of right-of-way (RW) is $5,000. The PEPD, PEDD and RW will be funded by the sponsor. The estimated construction cost is $1,159,000. Eighty percent ($927,200) of the construction (C) cost will be funded with CEAO Local Bridge (LBR) funds. The sponsor will provide the twenty percent ($231,800) matching funds.
Staff Comment (Summary):
• These projects are consistent with NOACA’s Connections+ 2035 Goal #3 (Preserve and Improve the Efficiency of the Transportation System).
• Recommend committee and public review in order to obtain comments.
• The Transportation Subcommittee did not have a quorum of members present at its meeting. The consensus among the attending members was to recommend the project for Planning and Programming Committee review.
Planning & Programming Committee:
• No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review.
• No comments; recommended for Board of Directors' review.
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):