Title: Laketran Vehicle Replacement Program for Calendar Years 2015 – 2020
Estimated Total Cost: $18,118,280 Calendar Years (CY) 2015 – 2020
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: Ohio Statewide Urban Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Program
History/Background: In November 2012, the Director of the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) announced the creation of an Ohio Statewide Urban Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Program. The intent of the program is to more quickly advance eligible projects that improve air quality, reduce congestion, and eliminate delay/improve safety, in addition to utilizing statewide CMAQ funding in the year funds are allocated. Selection of projects is in accordance with the policy established by the Ohio Statewide Urban Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Committee.
Current Conditions: Laketran's capital program is listed in the NOACA SFY 2014 – 2017 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) May 2013. Laketran reports that a number of vehicles have reached the end of their useful life. Laketran’s commuter Express Service currently uses 40’ MCI Coaches in this service. The 40” Over the Road Coaches being replaced in 2015 and 2016 were eligible to be replaced in 2010. Laketran reports that the 40’ Over the Road Coaches that will be replaced will have the newer emissions engines and exhaust system in them thereby improving the air quality. Laketran reports that the light transit vehicles will also improve emissions since they will be replacing vehicles that have diesel engines from 2009 in them. Some vehicles have been processed through project planning review and amended to the Long Range Plan.
Laketran's vehicle replacement plan includes:
• Seventy-two (72) paratransit vans for Laketran’s Dial-a-Ride service. Laketran intends to purchase 12 twelve replacement vans per year in calendar years 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. The estimated total cost, provided by the sponsor, is $7,626,420. The sponsor is requesting eighty percent ($6,101,136) to be funded with CMAQ funds; and
• Seventeen (17) 40’ Over the Road coaches (buses) for Laketran’s Commuter Express service. Laketran intends to purchase 5 replacement buses per year in calendar year 2015 and 4 replacement buses per year in calendar years 2016, 2017 and 2018. The estimated total cost, provided by the sponsor, is $10,491,860. The sponsor is requesting eighty percent ($8,393,488) to be funded with CMAQ funds.
Staff Comment (Summary):
• These projects are consistent with NOACA’s Connections+ 2035 Goal #3 (Preserve and Improve the Efficiency of the Transportation System).
• Recommend committee and public review in order to obtain comments.
• No comments; recommended for Planning and Programming Committee review.
Planning and Programming Committee:
• No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review.
• No comments; recommended for Board of Directors' review.
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):