Title: Safety Projects
Sponsor: Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT)
Estimated Total Cost: $16,393,993
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: ODOT
History/Background: The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) Safety program provides funds to ODOT and local governments for highway safety treatments or corrective activity designed to alleviate a safety problem or a potentially hazardous situation. The program is funded at approximately $100 million annually. Priority is given to those projects with recommended activities/countermeasures that improve safety at roadway locations with a high frequency, severity, and rate of crashes.
There are two application cycles per year. Applications must be signed off by the respective ODOT District Safety Review Team. A safety engineering study must typically accompany the application unless the application is for preliminary engineering funds to complete the study.
Proposed Projects: The following projects were selected for Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funding:
• CUY IR-271 - 10.87: PID No. 97676 - This project involves modifications to the interchange at IR-271 and Brainard Road, in Lyndhurst (location map) to reduce queue lengths at the IR-271 northbound (NB) exit to Cedar Road/Brainard Road by widening the IR-271 NB exit to 3 lanes (left turn/left turn-thru lane-right turn/right turn) and by widening Brainard Road to improve lane utilization and signal capacity at Brainard Road. The project’s estimated total cost is $2,552,000. The estimated cost of preliminary engineering detailed design (PEDD) is $232,000. The PEDD will be funded with HSIP funds ($208,800) and ODOT funds ($23,200). The estimated cost of construction (C) is $2,320,000. The C will be funded with HSIP funds ($2,088,000) and ODOT funds ($232,000).
• CUY IR-480 - 22.41EB: PID No. 89168 - This project involves the addition of an auxiliary lane to IR-480 eastbound only, from Lee Road to Northfield Road, in Maple Heights, Cleveland and Warrensville Heights (location map). The work will include reconfiguring the lanes under Warrensville Center Road to provide three lanes of traffic to IR-480N and modifying the Warrensville Center Road northbound (NB) exit ramp. The project’s estimated total cost is $13,841,993. The estimated cost of preliminary engineering detailed design (PEDD) is $341,993. The PEDD will be funded with ODOT funds. The estimated cost of construction (C) is $13,500,000. The sponsor reports that the C will be funded by ODOT.
Staff Comment (Summary):
• These projects are consistent with NOACA's Connections+ 2035 Goal #3 (Preserve and Improve the Efficiency of the Transportation System).
• Recommend committee and public review in order to obtain comments.
• No comments; recommended for Planning and Programming Committee review.
Planning and Programming Committee:
• No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review.
• No comments; recommended for Board of Directors' review.
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):