On September 13, 2013, the NOACA Board of Directors approved the following regarding this project: Resolution No. 2013-029 Project Planning Review and Resolution No. 2013-030 Plan and TIP Amendment. The project Planning Review (PPR) and Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC) processes for this project are now complete.
Title: Resurface Baumhart Road in Henrietta Township
Sponsor: Lorain County Engineer
Name: LOR BAUMHART RD (CR-51)
Estimated Total Cost: $831,600
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: NOACA
History/Background: On March 6, 2013, the Board of County Commissioners, Lorain County, Ohio, approved Resolution No. 13-145 authorizing a request for NOACA to place Baumhart Road (CR 51) on its transportation plan for federal funds. The Lorain County Engineer is authorized to prepare, sign and submit an application packet for the roadway project, and requests NOACA approval for placement on its transportation plan for future federal highway funding.
Current Conditions: Baumhart Road is functionally classified as a rural major collector. Baumhart Road has a pavement width of 30 feet, with two 11-foot-wide lanes and four-foot-wide shoulders. The width of the existing right-of-way is 60 feet. The average daily traffic on Baumhart Road is 3,591 vehicles per day with four percent trucks (2010). The posted speed limit is 55 miles per hour. The sponsor reports that Baumhart Road provides a north-south connection in western Lorain County between US-20 and US-6 and includes interchanges with SR-2 and the Ohio Turnpike. The sponsor also reports that similar projects have been completed north and south of this section of Baumhart Road and that it is the intent of the Lorain County Engineer's Office to maintain the entire roadway in a condition of fair or better.
Proposed Project: The proposed project involves resurfacing approximately 1.71 miles along Baumhart Road, from Garfield Road (west) to Russia Road, in Henrietta Township (location map). The work will include removing approximately three inches of the existing asphalt pavement surface. The sponsor reports that existing lane and shoulder widths will be maintained. The estimated total cost, provided by the sponsor, is $831,600. The sponsor requests that 80 percent ($665,280) of the construction cost be funded with NOACA-administered Surface Transportation Program (STP) funds. The sponsor will provide the remaining share ($166,320).
Staff Comment (Summary):
Short Range Planning: Project Development and Member Services Team
- This project is consistent with NOACA’s Connections+ 2035 Goals #3 (Preserve and Improve the Efficiency of the Transportation System) and # 4 (Establish Balanced System which Enhances Modal Choices).
- According to the NOACA Regional Pavement Management System (RPMS), the 2010 pavement condition rating (PCR) for this section of Baumhart Road ranges from 65 to 74 (fair condition).
- This section of Baumhart Road is categorized on the Lorain County Bicycle Transportation Map as suitable for bicyclists having intermediate skills.
- The proposed improvement will upgrade the two-lane roadway and provide a safer and more reliable facility between the project limits.
- Recommend committee and public review in order to obtain comments.
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):
If you are a representative of a governmental entity and would like to comment on this project, please email us.
NOACA encourages comments from the public on this proposed transportation improvement project. We would appreciate it if you include your city of residence, although it is not required. The public review period lasts until the Governing Board makes a decision about them.
Regional Transportation Investment Subcommittee (RTIS) / Transportation Subcommittee:
- No comments; recommended for amendment to NOACA’s Transportation Plan